Describe how you developed your post production skills for
media production and evaluate how these skills informed your creative media
practice. Refer to a range of examples in your answer to show how these skills
were developed over time.
Throughout the two years of the course I have developed my
post production skills and these skills informed my creative media practice.
The two briefs I was given were at AS to create a 2 minute
opening horror film sequence including titles, and at A2 I was to create a music
promo package which included a music video, digipak and advert for the song
‘Shadows’ by Warpaint.
I will answer this question by first discussing post
production at AS and then go on to discussing how I had developed at A2.
During the post production stages at AS I used IMovie, which
was easy to use and enabled me to add various effects to the sequence. However
I don’t think that this enabled me to be creative as much due to the small
choice of effects that are provided, however the ones that I did use were
effective and easy to use. At AS I also used photoshop to create my logo, which
enabled me to be very precise and specific when I edited it, however photoshop
wasn’t something that I was familiar with so it took me a while to get to grip
with the tools that were available for me to use. Photoshop allowed me to be creative because
it allowed me to do anything I wanted to my logo and although I struggled with
this at first I eventually got my desired logo. Using photoshop I was also able
to use a large variety of different effects for my logo which allowed me to be
creative as I could use many layers and fonts, which made me logo look unique.
During post production at AS I also used blogger which is web 2.0, this allowed
me to post things and get comments back from other users. This developed my
post production skills for media as I began using blogger as I had never used
it previously, and it allowed me to get feedback and comments from other uses
on the work which I was doing. I also used an EMac, which I thought was very
slow to use and not up-to-date. The EMac enabled me to be creative as there
were many tools on there which I could use, and this developed my skills as it
was something which I had never used before.
During the post production stage at A2 I moved on to using
final cut rather than IMovie, and I found that final cut had a larger variety
of effects which I could use and which were very effective for my music video.
This enabled me to be more creative than I was at AS and it meant that I could
now use both IMovie and final cut. Final cut also enabled me to use non linear
editing and edit my music video in whichever order I liked, which meant that if
there was a scene in the middle which I didn’t like then I could change it to
something more preferable or use a better clip. This informed my creativity as
It enabled me to experiment and try out clips which I hadn’t thought of using
before, which turned out to be better than the ones that I had planned on
using. Also, final cut enabled me to use the green screen, something which I
was unable to do at AS on IMovie, and once I learned how to use it I realised
that I could now do a wider range of things when editing my clips, which again
allowed me to be more creative as I could choose more creative backgrounds than
I would have previously been able to.
During A2 I also used web 2.0 technology again and put my music video on
facebook, this allowed me to gain feedback from many people and it was
something which I had never tried before. Some of the people which commented
gave me ideas on how to improve, which I then took into account which gave me
better ideas which therefor allowed me to have more creative ideas that I had
previously never thought of, this was something which I didn’t do at AS which I
feel would have helped me. I again used photoshop at A2 but this time I was
more experienced due to the experience I had with it at AS, this time I was
able to create more things on it such as a digipak and advert, and I was able
to use images instead of just words. When using it the second time around I used
a large amount of layerd compared to just using 2 at AS and this was something
which made it look more effective.
12/25
ReplyDeleteYou discuss some post production software packages and talk briefly about development. You must remember to discuss examples from your work in relation to post production and make sure that you discuss the significance of the software in relation to production outcomes. In other words, more examples from your work. You did address creativity in your answer which was good. Dont forget to use the PDQ format to keep you on track!